What Is Litter?
There’s a lot to learn about litter
It’s more than you think. Sure, litter is the stuff that’s carelessly thrown on the ground or out a car window, but it’s also…
- Cigarette butts on every curb and sidewalk
- Large items like tires or refrigerators dumped in parks or alleys
- Trash improperly set out so it gets scattered all over
- Plastic bags that blow around and get stuck in trees and fences
- Flyers and circulars that wind up in the street
Once people know what turns into litter, they’re more careful not to add to it!
Litter does more harm than you realize:
- Crushes people’s hopes and spirits
- Leads to unsafe neighborhoods
- Opens the door to more negativity…once it’s dirty people think it’s okay to keep messing it up
- Lowers property values
- Hurts the environment
- Makes it harder for local businesses to succeed
Is it trash…or?
A lot of your trash is actually recyclable:
- Paper (like newspapers, flyers, menus, mail)
- Cans (tin and aluminum)
- Glass (food jars and bottles)
- Plastic (#1 or #2)
- Flattened cardboard